Need Help Recovering from a Sports Injury? Looking to Improve Your Sports Performance?
We know how frustrating it can be when an injury keeps you from the sports you enjoy. Sports Therapy, also known as sports physical therapy, is a specialized area of physical therapy. It entails helping professional, collegiate, high school and recreational athletes with acute, chronic and repetitive injuries recover their strength and range of motion in order to restore them to their normal activities of daily living. This may be done shortly after the injury has occurred or post-surgically. To accomplish this our therapists use such techniques as:
- Manual Therapy (specialized hands-on techniques to facilitate movement and functional control)
- Therapeutic Exercise - from an active range of motion (simply working against gravity) to advanced resistance protocols, our therapists help athletes recover the necessary strength to compete in their given sport.
- Heat, ice, taping techniques and electrical stimulation
- Functional Retraining - all sports require specialized balance, movement patterns, and dynamic flexibility and stability. Sports therapy includes retraining the athlete in their given area of interest or excellence. Examples include helping pitchers recover their throwing mechanics. Assisting football players in cutting, catching, throwing and backpedaling. Helping basketball players recover the jumping, shuffling and shooting mechanics.
- Dynamic Strength & Endurance Training - most sports require endurance, balance and short burst of intense strength output. In the later stages of rehabilitation, our therapists transition athletes to advanced conditioning programs that closely replicate their experience on the court or playing field.
Our therapists often provide interventions and recommendations to assist you with injury prevention. This may include pre-participation evaluations, equipment advice, conditioning programs (e.g., ACL injury prevention) and cardiorespiratory conditioning programs that are constructed to assist you in a safe transition back to sport.
Sports Performance Programs
After a thorough evaluation of your strength, neuromuscular coordination, flexibility, and cardiorespiratory fitness, our therapist will develop a sports performance training plan to help you achieve your performance goals. Programs are tailored to your specific sporting demands and provided to you as a training regime (plan of action); or the sports therapist may coach and guide you through a performance program on a several times/week basis again, depending on your needs and goals.
Our therapists will work with you to heal your injury, rebuild your strength and educate you on ways to reduce your chances of re-injury. Our emphasis is on helping you return to full health and get back into the game. Call us today to set up an appointment.